Best Self Monitored Home Security Systems in 2023
Still not sure if you need a self monitored home security system or not?
Digest this: More than 4,300 burglaries happen every day in the US. They say that a robbery occurs almost every 1.6 seconds in the States. What’s more, more than 70% of reported burglaries in 2015 were on residential property.
Aren’t these stats enough to convince you of the importance of home security systems?
So What are the benefits of having a self-monitored system?
- Self-monitoring is cost-effective. Traditional home security systems are connected to a central station that charges a recurring fee. But in self-monitoring systems, you do not need to pay this.
- You can customize your self-monitored security system to recognize and not send alerts for certain activities. You can also decide which reports and alarms you wish to receive and which you would rather not.
- Self-monitored security systems allow you to stay vigilant all the time. They send app notifications, constant alerts to your email or text messages. You can check whichever is easier for you and take the necessary actions.
- In traditional home security systems, when the alarm goes off, professionals from the central station contact you. But that is not the case in a self-monitored security system. In a self-monitored security system when the alarm goes off, you get to decide what the response should be.
- Self-monitored security systems are usually compact and can be carried easily. You should definitely consider a self-monitored security system if you are renting a house and might change it later.
- You will be able to change and upgrade your self-monitored security system whenever required.
Now that you have planned to go for it, which one should you choose? Undoubtedly, there is an array of them in the market, and buying one could be a bit overwhelming, especially if you are out in the market.
No worries. Here, we have got you covered. In addition to helping you with the various criteria that you should keep in mind while buying a home security system, we have also compiled a list of the best products.
Let’s check them out.
Best Self Monitored Home Security System
P.S – Towards the end of this list, you will find a comprehensive buying guide and an array of frequently asked questions.
Abode Essentials Starter Kit
The Abode Essentials Starter Kit is one of the best self-monitored home security systems. You can install it on your own and this is just one of the reasons that you must have it. From protecting your home’s surroundings to alerting you of pipe leakage, this security system can do it all.
All the devices are connected and integrated using Gateway Generation 1. These devices are connected to a mini door and window sensor.
You can use a remote key fob to arm or disarm the security system. This can be done remotely whenever necessary especially when you are away from home.
The security system has a motion sensor that can pick up even the slightest movements. You can easily monitor any unwanted activity in your surroundings. So, not much light and the video feed is not clear? This is exactly where a motion sensor comes to your rescue.
Alarm System with Siren
The alarm system is equipped with a 93-decibel siren. The siren will immediately go off when the sensors detect a breach of security.
The starter kit contains a key fob, a mini door and window sensor, a motion sensor, a basic monitoring plan, a “Secured by Abode” sticker and Gateway.
- Product dimensions: 13.5 x 9.7 x 4.5 inches
- Item weight: 3 pounds
- Batteries: 1 lithium metal battery (included in the package)
- You can choose the enhancements that you would like and customize your system.
- Cellular and battery backup.
- You do not need to pay monthly fees.
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, and Apple HomeKit.
- Not equipped with cameras.
- The connections might not work properly.
- The Abode Gateway version is Generation 1 which is not the latest.
SimpliSafe SS3-AMZ-5 10
The SimpliSafe home security system is possibly the best self-monitored home security system with cameras. Being compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, this is an excellent choice if you want round-the-clock self-monitoring.
If the installation of security systems has always worried you, this wireless security system has got your back. It is very easy to install. All you need to do is plug it in and fix the sensors wherever you need them.
Video Doorbell Pro
This exciting new feature allows you to check any activity outside your door. The 1080P HD video feed provides a clear vision during the day as well as during the night.
Entry and Motion Sensors
If you have a large house or grounds around your home that need monitoring, then you will need multiple sensors. This security system has sensors for the entry points as well as those which can detect motions around the house.
It is very important to stay alert in case of emergencies. If there is a breach of security, you can press the panic button to alert authorities.
Alarm System with Siren
The alarm system in the base station is equipped with a siren. The siren will sound inside your house, immediately alerting you.
The main components include a base station, a keypad, 4 entry sensors, a motion sensor, a panic button, 1 SimpliCam camera, and a video doorbell.
- Product dimensions: 13.4 x 13.3 x 6.7 inches
- Item weight: 6.25 pounds
- Power source: Battery powered
- Batteries: 10 AA alkaline batteries
- Base station is equipped with a 95-decibel siren.
- The camera along with its built-in stainless steel shutter allows you to maintain the utmost privacy.
- 24 hours of cellular and Wi-Fi backup.
- Connecting the keypad to the base is tough.
- All additional features attract fees.
Arlo Pro 2
With a good quality camera and great sensors, Arlo Pro 2 is one of the best home security systems. It works well with Amazon Alexa and has two different powering options. You can either plug it in or even use it wirelessly. Even if you choose to plug it in, you will not need to worry about handling too many wires.
Advanced Motion Detection
The video recording is of 1080P HD. This provides a clear vision at all times. The PIR motion sensors can monitor a wide area while ensuring that no movements go undetected.
Highlighted Activity Zones
Do you have areas that you think need constant monitoring? Think of the kids’ room or the patio? You can highlight such areas in the camera view to let the system know what needs constant monitoring. You can then enjoy uninterrupted monitoring and receive alerts.
Alarm System with Siren
The alarm system is equipped with an automatic siren which will go off as soon as the motion sensors or the cameras detect any unwanted activity.
Cloud Recordings for Free
While you can always live stream, the video footage (along with audio) is saved for 7 days and you can view it at your convenience. You can save these recordings on local storage using a USB drive.
The kit consists of a camera, a siren, motion sensors, 2-way audio, a wall-mount, and cloud storage.
- Product dimensions: 9.9 x 9.7 x 5 inches
- Item weight: 10.9 pounds
- Batteries: 2 CR123A batteries (included in the package)
- The camera is waterproof.
- The battery is rechargeable.
- You can also upgrade to CVR recording if you wish to.
- There is a 100-decibel siren.
- The IP65-certified Arlo Pro camera can either be plugged into a power outlet or to the Arlo Solar Panel (you can purchase one separately).
- The camera might fail to work at very low temperatures.
- The battery will die out very soon as the system will be overworked.
Looking for quality and affordability all in one? This wireless self-monitored home security system is what you need. It is compatible with Alexa, iOS and the Android App and features an extremely easy-to-use interface.
The security system comes along with all that is needed to get the ball rolling. So, no ifs and buts – just get started immediately.
Central Base Station
There is a central base station, the CubeOne which is connected to the router at your home. It can be used to track and control the motion sensors around your home.
Customize and Upgrade the System
You can add accessories to your system and upgrade it whenever new updates are available. You can add the names of family members and allow it to recognize these people. How does this help? Well, it reduces the risk of false alarms.
Other than the CubeOne Hub, the iSmartAlarm Preferred Home Security Package includes 2 window or door sensors, 1 motion sensor, 2 remote tags as well as 2 sensor stickers which you can attach on your window or yard.
- Product dimensions: 7 x 7 x 7 inches
- Item weight: 2.6 pounds
- Batteries: 3 lithium metal batteries (included in the package)
- Very compact and easily portable.
- 110-decibel siren.
- Sends alerts through SMS messages, push notifications and email.
- No corner mount to set up the base station.
- It only works in the United States and Canada.
- If you want an external alarm, then you will need to purchase and install it separately.
An affordable security Gateway alarm system, the Zegoal Smart Security System has 20 different wireless accessories that enhance its functionalities even further. What’s more, it does not require you to pay any subscription fee.
You can easily set up the system on your own. All you need to do is connect the main controller hub with the 5 sets of wireless contact sensors.
The security system is equipped with a PIR motion sensor. This can detect all motions, even the slightest ones, keeping your home and its surroundings completely safe.
This security system is also able to follow audio instructions once you enable voice control and you can use it with Amazon Alexa/Echo or Google home.
Constant Vigilance with Sensors
Other than the PIR motion sensor, the security system also has a window sensor and a door sensor. There is a separate garage door sensor as well.
The whole package consists of a white Wi-Fi main siren, a 433 MHz PIR motion sensor, a 433 MHz door sensor, stickers, screws, 433 MHz remote controls, a motion sensor holder, a power adapter, charging cable and a user manual.
- Product dimensions: 3.1 x 3.1 x 1.3 inches
- Item weight: 1.25 pounds
- Batteries: 1 lithium ion battery (included in the package)
- If the motion sensors pick up any suspicious activity, the siren will go off and a light will also start flashing.
- Comes with 8 hours battery backup.
- Four different sound levels for the alarm which can be adjusted.
- SOS function to send distress signals.
- User manual is not easy to follow.
- The alarm is not very loud.
- The system will continue to beep when you try to disarm it.
Looking for a motion sensor as well as a door sensor? The Pannovo wireless self monitoring security system is what you need. The security system can be controlled via the app from both iOS and Android devices.
High Volume Alarm System
The alarm alerts you at a high volume. When any unwanted motion is detected, a siren of 120 decibels will go off.
The security system is equipped with a door/window sensor as well as a motion sensor. This enhances the security features and keeps your home completely safe.
You can easily control the security system through the mobile app. This allows you to stay alert even when you are away from home.
The SOS button with the alarm system is for emergency purposes. It will trigger the alarm system when pressed.
The whole kit includes a PIR main panel 6 door/window sensors (with battery) 2 remote control (with a built-in battery) a PIR motion sensor, 1 SOS alarm button, a USB cable, and Adaptor, and 6 AAA batteries.
- Product dimensions: 6.9 x 6.8 x 5.5 inches
- Item weight: 1.65 pounds
- Batteries: 1 lithium polymer battery (included in the package)
- Fewer false alarms.
- Home security system can be easily managed through the app.
- It comes with a user manual for easy installation.
- Won’t work in case of poor Wi-Fi connection.
- Involves a steep learning curve.
- There are not many upgrades available.
Fortress Security Store
This DIY unmonitored home security system is compatible with Alexa and can be easily controlled through its app. Other than homes, the Fortress Security Store is also great for small businesses and shops as it offers convenient self-monitoring and many different security features.
Remote Monitoring and 2 Way Communication
Easily communicate and control the system through the main panel. This can be done even when you are away from home.
There is a Ready-to-Arm feature which enables the S03 Wi-Fi panel to send alerts to your phone.
Since the security system is compatible with Alexa, you can use voice control to issue commands and monitor your surroundings.
- Product dimensions: 6.3 x 1.4 x 4.3 inches
- Item weight: 2.65 pounds
- Power source: corded electric
- Batteries: not required
- The system can be controlled easily through the MyFortress app.
- The app offers a 2-way chat, 360-degree view with 720p High-Definition.
- The package includes sticky tape, screws, and wall brackets to make the installation hassle-free.
- It might not be easy to pair the wireless siren.
- After long term use, the batteries might start to fail.
The Kangaroo Home Security System is a 5-piece DIY home security kit that is compatible with both Amazon Alexa and Google Home. With the app installed on your phone, you will be able to manage this home security system from anywhere.
Motion and Entry Sensors
The motion and entry sensor monitors all doors and windows at all times.
You can monitor and control the security system even when you are away from home. This can be done through the mobile app.
Siren and Roo Tags
The alarm system is equipped with a siren as well as Roo tags. There are also built-in smoke detectors and CO alarms.
The kit includes a siren, a keypad with 2 Roo tags, 2 motion and entry sensors, and a 1-yard sign along with 3 window decals.
- Product dimensions: 11.3 x 8.5 x 2.8 inches
- Item weight: 2.79 pounds
- Batteries: 4 AA batteries (included in the package)
- Can detect activity that is 20 feet away.
- Easy to accessorize
- Cones with a pet-friendly option.
- Let’s police, fire or medical dispatch to respond to alarms.
- You will need to pay a monthly fee for text and voice call notifications.
- The stickers are not always very effective.
Google Nest Secure Alarm System
This home security system has a built-in motion sensor and is compatible with Google Assistant.
Built-in Motion Sensors
The alarm system kit has built-in motion sensors along with Google Assistant to pick up all kinds of unwanted activities.
Easy to control
You can easily control the security system through the Nest App. The app can also be used to arm and disarm the system remotely.
The Nest Detect can monitor open and close motions of doors and windows. It will trigger the alarm system in case it picks up any suspicious activities.
The kit also includes a couple of Nest detect sensors and Nest tags.
- Product dimensions: 3.70 x 3.70 x 2.10 inches
- Item weight: 0.56 pounds
- The Nest app allows you to easily control and self-monitor the alarm system.
- You can remotely arm or disarm the security system.
- There is a path light provided along with the sensors
- There are only two sensors provided.
- The alarm system is much more expensive than other similar devices.
Ring Alarm 5
This home security system, while being a self-monitored one also offers professional monitoring. It is compatible with Alexa.
Motion Activated Alarm System
Whenever the motion detector or the contact sensor picks up any suspicious activity, an alert will be sent through to your phone.
Alarm System equipped with Siren
The alarm system has a 104-decibel siren which will go off in case of any security breach.
You can add extra sensors or alarms to the security system. This is ideal if you have many areas to monitor.
The package contains a base station, a keypad, a range extender, a motion sensor, and a contact sensor.
- Product dimensions: 7 x 5 x 3 inches
- Item weight: 3.85 pounds
- Batteries: 5 lithium ion batteries (included in the package)
- The battery lasts up to 10 months.
- The sensors work well through a wide range of temperatures, from 0 to 40 degrees Celsius.
- Smash proof and therefore the alert will be sent even if the keypad is damaged.
- High risk of false alarms.
- The installation procedure is a bit complicated.
Things to Keep in Mind While Buying the Best Self Monitored Home Security Systems
Since there are many different kinds of self-monitored security systems available in the market, you might find it difficult to buy the right one. But you need not worry anymore. The points given below will help you understand exactly what kind of self-monitored security system will suit your needs.
Ease of installation
Setting up a self-monitored security system will require integrating all the security systems along with the DVRs, NVRs, and the cameras. This does not sound like an easy task. But with the right instructions and compatible devices, installation can be hassle-free. A security system that is easy to install will not require too much labor. So buy a self-monitored security system that has a detailed instructions manual.
In self-monitored security systems, the data transmission happens over either Wi-Fi, Ethernet or cellular signal. Check which network connection is strong in your area before buying a self-monitored security system.
Wi-Fi networks are not usually good at all places. In such situations, you can opt for cellular connections. However, if you get wired network systems with Ethernet cables then you will have a stable network connection at all times.
Alerts and alarms
Self-monitored security systems that have smart motion sensors and alerts are extremely convenient. They are capable of informing you about any suspicious or unauthorized in your surroundings. Even the slightest of motions will be detected and your safety will never be compromised. From notifications, emails to audio sirens, self-monitored security will use all available means to keep you alert.
When it comes to security systems, there is no universal size. The size depends upon the additional devices, the equipment, and their purpose, security. Buy a self-monitored security system that has all the equipment that you need and also fits into the space you have for it.
If you live in a flat or have a small house, then a compact self-monitored security system will be quite convenient. But if there are sprawling grounds around your home and there are a lot of areas to be monitored, you will need a larger security system.
Ease of control
You should be able to control and change the settings of your self-monitored security system quite easily. There should not be any complications involved in using the devices. Most self-monitored security systems are accessible through your phone or PC. This makes it even more convenient to keep a check on your property when you are away.
Most security systems run on low voltage without consuming too much power. Self-monitored security systems also have backup batteries which allow them to run even when your home does not have power.
This is very important because when there is a power outage and the lights go off, you will not be able to see. A security system with motion sensors will then be of great help and your safety will not be compromised.
Can I monitor my alarm system?
In a self-monitored home security system, you will be able to monitor your alarm system. Once installed, you can connect to the app and use it to monitor the area that is under surveillance. The app will let you know when the sensors or the cameras pick up some suspicious activity.
How does self-monitoring work?
In self-monitoring, the security system is linked to an app on your mobile phone or on a desktop. This allows you to be in contact all the time. You will get alerts from time to time and you can decide how you want to respond. You will also be able to pull up footage to clarify or see anything you wish to.
What is the best home security system without a monthly fee?
Many home security systems do not require a monthly fee.
The Abode home security system is one of the best home security systems available which does not require a fee to be paid every month. It is good for homeowners, renters and even for pet owners. It is wireless, remote-controlled and has intrusion protection along with environment protection. You will be able to install it on your own.
There are also other home security systems without monthly fees. These include SimpliSafe, Ring Alarm, Arlo and Nest.
What are the best DIY home security systems?
DIY home security systems, as their name suggests, can be installed by you without any professional help. They are therefore cost-effective and quite easy to use. DIY home security systems usually consist of motion and entry sensors along with a few alarms.
A few of the best DIY home security systems are given below.
- Abode Essentials Starter kit
- Ooma Home Security kit
- Abode Iota
- Honeywell Smart Home Security
- Samsung SmartThings ADT Home Security Starter kit
- Swann Smart Home Security System
The Next Steps
As you can see, choosing the best self-monitored home security system does not need to be a difficult task. You simply need to understand your needs and your surroundings to make the right choice.
So what is your favourite pick? Let us know in the comments below.