Smart locks have become the most popular home products in the market. With these easy-to-install gadgets, you can securely protect your home remotely. Alexa integration has made these locks even better. While there are many different types of door locks that you can buy, here is a review of some of the best Alexa compatible door locks.
But before we get into the review, we should first understand how a smart lock works. Essentially, smart locks that work with Alexa include standard Bluetooth functionality, Wi-Fi for remote control and keypad-less locking and unlocking. Nonetheless, there are also traditional door locks that offer wireless and ‘’smart’’ connectivity via an adapter that is connected externally.
Things To Consider Before buying Alexa Compatible Door Locks
To ensure you make an informed decision when shopping for smart locks that work with Alexa, here are some of the features you need to consider.
Most door locks that work with Alexa usually operate on rechargeable lithium or alkaline batteries. But whichever battery your lock uses, you will get an automatic alert on the app the moment the battery power is low. The LED display on the device will flash red to indicate that the battery needs recharging/replacement.
How long do batteries last for voice-activated door locks? Well, this will depend on the type of lock you choose and its specific functions. For example, battery life is often determined by the physical locking and unlocking of the device and can last from 90 days to a year. For that reason, you should always buy a smart lock with extended battery life.
ALTERNATIVE LOCK/UNLOCK OPTION
Although Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are excellent choices, they are occasionally unreliable. In fact, technology companies that manufacture voice-activated door looks are aware that these devices have their limits in terms of functionality. So most companies have introduced alternative unlocking techniques that have made smart locks more practical. The most common wireless unlocking mechanism includes the use of PIN codes.
Most smart locks that work with Alexa usually have a keyless entry. When you have a smartphone, you can easily unlock your door even when standing a distance away. Nonetheless, the automatic lock/unlock functionality can only work on a limited distance of around 25 feet. More importantly, voice-activated door locks with keypads don’t include proximity unlocking capabilities, like preventing intruders from accessing the property using a stolen or lost phone.
CUSTOMIZABLE GUEST KEYS
Retrofit smart locks allow you to assign special ‘’keys’’ for guests who can access your home when you are away. This is a common feature that you will find in most Airbnb properties. The best Alexa compatible door locks usually have entry keys that are sent either via email or text through your smartphone app. These keys offer visitors entry to your property for a specific period of time. Smart locks can also track when someone enters or leaves the property and will send you real-time alerts.
Since smart locks are complicated gadgets that use high-end technology, they need to have better durability. They should still function properly even in extreme weather conditions. For example, smart locks that work with Alexa should indicate that the device can withstand extreme condtions and will have a dustproof/ IP water rating.
However, smart locks often vary in terms of their ability to withstand adverse environmental conditions over a specified period of time. And to ensure you get a smart lock that will stand the test of time, you should buy one from a respected lock manufacturer who has a proven track record.
Most smart locks that work with Alexa usually have distinct specifications and hence it’s not easy to establish if the lock you want to buy will do the job exceptionally well. To help you make an informed choice, here are the 3 common lock designations. These designations will test the smart locks based on their security and robustness against bumping, picking, and improve the device’s longevity of its locking/unlocking functionality. The most common destination grades include the following:
- This is considered the strongest grade and is often reserved for use in commercial applications.
- This ANSI-approved smart lock is commonly used in residences.
- This secondary grade smart lock is usually used to help supplement both grade 1 and 2 locks.
As far as wireless security is concerned, fear of hacking always poses a threat. And though most smart lock manufacturers often publish their technical specifications and explain how full-proof their security is, it is important to remember that wireless security is not 100% secure. The only thing you can do is find a manufacturer that places a high priority on their wireless security. With extensive research, you can find the best door locks that work with Alexa – that are hack-proof.
SMART HOME INTEGRATION
Most voice activated door locks can easily be integrated in your home using Alexa, and it’s easier to lock doors, turn on lights and adjust temperature controls right from your smartphone. For that reason, you should find a smart lock that is compatible with your home technologies.
Smart locks are usually compatible with home technology and have Alexa voice control. Nonetheless, the voice control capability is only limited when locking doors when you are indoors. For added security, some lock makers have begun to implement the use of a spoken unlock feature.
FIT AND FINISH
Most traditional lock manufacturers like Schlage and Yale often provide a wide range of lock hardware trims and finishes, as well as matching latch functionality that will include variations of brass, bronze, and silver. However, high-tech smart lock manufacturers don’t have such choices. Therefore, if aesthetics matter to you, then you need to do extensive research to find what you are looking for.
Without further ado, here is a review of some of the best Alexa compatible locks in the market, including their technical specs, key features, as well as pros and cons of each smart lock.
Best Alexa Compatible Door Locks
August Home ASL-03, AC-R1 Smart Lock Pro + Connect Wi-Fi Bridge Bundle, 100, Silver
This August Home stylish smart lock can work well with almost all existing deadbolts and that means you don’t have to get new keys to use it. What’s more, you can easily use the Alexa command to lock and unlock the door. You can automatically unlock the door by approaching it using your smartphone.
Can unlock automatically when you arrive
- If you have your smartphone with you, open the door and enter into your home. And if you are heading out, the smart lock will automatically lock all the doors when you leave.
Monitor your doors remotely from anywhere
- Control keyless access and monitor your doors at all times directly from an app on your smartphone. That offers you 24/7 access and ensures you are on the know.
- This smart lock also works well with all the major voice integrated platforms. You can use voice control via Alexa to control all your locks.
- Alexa integration
- Easy to install
- It’s somewhat bulky
August Smart Lock – Keyless Home Entry with Your Smartphone – Silver
While this smart lock isn’t compatible with HomeKit, it works considerably well with Alexa. It also enables you to create ‘’guest keys’’ for use by anyone that you don’t want to have the physical key.
- Securely lock and unlock your doors, and control remote access to monitor who enters and leaves your home directly from your phone. More importantly, this smart lock can work on your existing deadbolt keys.
Control access remotely from anywhere
- You can grant access to visitors for weeks or hours. It’s all up to you. This smart lock also includes door sense that will indicate whether all the doors are completely locked and closed. The door will lock automatically when you leave and unlock the time you arrive.
Easily integrates with Alexa
- You can easily monitor all your doors by integrating with Alexa and can work on your existing locks. That means you don’t need to get new locks when you install it.
- Easy to install
- Comes with door sense to determine whether you door is properly closed
- You may have to recalibrate the door sense several times and this can be quite cumbersome.
Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt Smart Lock w/ Alarm (Aged Bronze)
If you accidentally forget your phone at home, then it is important to have a backup to help you access your house. While having a physical key is smart, using a PIN might be more practical. The Schlage smart lock allows you to lock and unlock your doors with Alexa, and its touchscreen doesn’t allow fingerprint identification. You can easily create alerts to know when someone is tampering with the locks.
Home Access Anywhere
- This remote smart lock employs the use of an advanced automation system that enables you to lock and unlock your doors remotely using your smartphone. Need to let your housekeeper in? Forgot to switch off your lights? This smart lock can let you do that remotely from your smartphone or via your computer.
- This is one of the best Alexa compatible door locks with an advanced in-built alarm technology. It has three alert modes, mainly tamper, activity and forced entry. These alerts can communicate security threats in real-time.
- Its touchscreen is fingerprint-resistant to protect against smudges and fingerprints and ensure the wear patterns are undetectable.
Compatible with all household smart devices
- Supporting a variety of household brands, this smart lock can offer you unlimited support from lighting, thermostats, and locks to cameras and small appliances. What’s more, its extendable and flexible – and allow you to add smart devices when your needs grow.
- Easy to personalize
- Easy to install
- Rear-end is quite bulky
Yale Assure with Z-Wave Smart Touchscreen Deadbolt Lock
This standard smart lock works well with Alexa and enables you to manage all your locks remotely from anywhere. You can input almost 200 unique codes that you can assign to guests without necessarily giving out your master PIN.
- These voice-activated door locks have an adjustable latch that is compatible with smart home devices. It can work exceptionally well with alarm systems or smart things like Vera, Wink, Iris, and Honeywell.
- You can lock and unlock doors using a 4-8 digit PIN code that you can input in the touchscreen. Alternatively, you can input the key on your smartphone app.
Comes with two identical keys
- This standard smart lock comes with two identical keys that offer peace of mind in case you accidentally misplace your key.
- Alexa integration
- Easy to install
Kwikset 910 Door Lock for U.S., 910TRL ZW 15 SMT (Satin Nickle), by Kwikset
While more traditionally looking, these smart locks that work with Alexa use old conventional buttons for authentication. It supports more than 30 unique codes and if you accidentally forget to lock your doors, they will automatically lock after thirty seconds. While it isn’t compatible with the Amazon Key service, it is usually compatible with multiple models.
- The secured keyless functionality is convenient for your rental or home. You can either access your home using a touchpad or entry-keyway.
- It is easy to lock all your doors with only a single touch. You don’t need additional keys or code whatsoever. Forget to lock the door after leaving? You can program it to lock automatically after 30 seconds.
- Check if the doors have been properly locked by receiving notifications via text or email, directly on your smartphone.
- You can remotely lock or unlock your door from anywhere with the advanced Z – Wave home automation system.
- Easy to lock
- Easy to install
Kwikset 99250-103 Venetian Bronze Kevo 2nd Gen Deadbolt Convert
Similar to the August smart locks that work with Alexa, the Kevo Kwikset Convert will only replace your interior locks, but you don’t need to replace your keys. It can automatically lock within 30 seconds after you leave and unlocks when you walk towards it. You can also send personalized ekeys to guests on their smartphone and lock intruders remotely.
Easily monitor who comes and goes
- The eKeys functionality allows guests to access your home through your phone. In fact, you will automatically receive a notification the moment someone enters your home.
Lock or unlock directly from your phone
- Simply use your smartphone to lock and unlock doors that are within the Bluetooth range. And for a small fee, you can upgrade your smart lock and operate it from anywhere.
Best for apartments and short term rentals
- You don’t require any expensive installations here. This smart lock allows you to transform your deadbolts into smart locks and manage access remotely using your smartphone.
- While it seems like your usual standard door lock, it offers discreet security. You can easily convert your existing door locks into a smart lock to enjoy the convenience of using an automatic electric lock.
- Bluetooth functionality
- Easy to install
- Sometimes the Bluetooth connections is slow
Danalock V3 Bluetooth & Z-Wave Smart Lock
This smart lock can perfectly integrate into your existing home system. Due to its exceptional features like key permissions, geofencing, auto-lock function, etc this smart lock truly deserves a place on this list.
- If you stand outside your house or apartment, it is not easy to tell that you have installed this brilliant device on your door. This smart lock only replaces the locking mechanism inside the lock.
Long battery life
- Among all the smart locks that work with Alexa, this smart lock has a truly remarkable battery life. The batteries can last more than 1.5 years.
Compatible with different types of doors
- Compatible with a variety of doors: This smart lock is compatible with different types of doors. It can easily be installed on American, Scandinavian and European doors.
Auto-Lock and Geofencing
- The geofencing capability allows you to input your location and the doors can automatically open when you approach. With this feature, the door can automatically close after 30 seconds to keep the home safe when children forget to close the door.
- You can operate the smart door lock with all family members and everyone can control access on their smartphone. Several members of the family can operate the door lock at their own convenience, which limits the need for having several keys. It is also possible to give your friends temporary access even if they don’t have an app on their phones.
- Elegant design
- Long battery life
- Easily integrated with technological systems like Alexa
- No alarm
Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt with Camelot Trim
This device has in-built Wi-Fi that enables you to manage entry remotely without the need for using additional accessories. Once you install the app on your phone, you can easily manage at least 100 access codes. This is one of the best Alexa compatible door locks in the market.
- The setup is quite straightforward and the in-built Wi-Fi enables you to connect the device directly on your residential network. That means you don’t need any additional adapters or hubs.
- If you are looking for the best voice-activated door locks in the market, then Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt is an excellent choice.
Low battery indicator
- The Schlage Encode Smart Wi-Fi Deadbolt is also popular as it offers advanced warning if a battery replacement is necessary.
- The smart lock also offers the convenience and flexibility of an in-built alarm and more than 100 access codes.
- Great aesthetic
- Easy to install
Sifely Keyless Entry Door Lock
This smart lock offers an excellent solution to short-term rentals. It can allow you to generate passcodes and then share it with your visitors. It’s easy to install and includes an advanced entry lock. More importantly, the Wi-Fi feature allows you to lock or unlock the codes remotely and check access logs in real-time.
- This smart lock has the most advanced technology and is a smart solution for secure housing. By replacing your conventional keys with fingerprint and keyless entry, you can ditch your door keys altogether.
- You can easily generate passcodes remotely even without the internet. These types of passcodes include one-time, permanent, timed, custom and cyclic. As mentioned earlier on, it is an excellent option for short-term rental management, as well as self-housing residents, Moreover, you don’t need to change the keys at your property.
- Among all the smart locks on this list, this smart lock has a unique fingerprint functionality. It is waterproof and dustproof, as well as scratch proof.
- If you don’t want to use a specific code, easily revoke access through your Sifely app. You can easily integrate FOBs to allow homeowners or guests into your property conveniently and quickly.
- Very secure
- Easy to install
SMONET Smart Door Lock
This is one of the best Alexa compatible door locks with personalized passcodes. It also has keyless entry functionality that allows you to create automatic passcodes to employees, visitors or housekeepers. You can also set up an automatic locking function and never worry about forgetting to lock the door.
Remote sharing passcodes
- With these smart locks that work with Alexa, you can generate temporary codes that guests can use, and you don’t have to get them back. Alternatively, it is easy to send e-keys to recipients who can access them on their smartphones via an app.
- You can easily access your home even if you don’t have a key. When working out in the evening and you don’t want to carry your keys, you can use passcodes to unlock the door. This undoubtedly offers more flexibility and convenience.
High quality and intuitive display
- In addition to having an intuitive display, this smart lock is more secure as it can automatically lock when you enter an incorrect password multiple times.
- Alexa integration
- Easy to install Item 3
- No alarm
1. Can Alexa control door locks?
You can either lock or unlock your doors using an Alexa command. With smart locks that work with Alexa, you can automatically unlock a door when you approach it with your smartphone.
2. How do I connect a smart lock to Alexa?
First you need to download an Alexa mobile app on your smartphone. Install the smart lock on your door and follow instructions on the user manual that comes with the lock.
3. What is the best smart home lock?
August’s Smart Lock Pro is among the best Alexa compatible smart door locks.
4. Does Alexa work with Kwikset?
Kwikset smart home devices are also compatible with Alexa technology.